‘Heal the world, Heal the world!’ ‘Make it a better place, a better place!’ Not just for you or for me, for everyone that has contributed to your living. There is a reason why every famous personality in history and across the globe have had their share of giving quotes known to the world.
There are three kinds of people in this world, those who have more than enough, those who have just enough, and those who barely have enough.
It all looks like a thin line till survival becomes tough and if you can give, even just a little from your pie, you become a savior. The best feeling in the world is yours!
Here are a few ‘giving quotes’ to light your way!
101 Giving Quotes
Inspiring Giving Quotes
1. “Let us make one point, that we meet each other with a smile when it is difficult to smile. Smile at each other, make time for each other in your family.”– Mother Teresa
Who knew just a curve on your face can also contribute to giving?
2. “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.”– Winston S. Churchill
How empty would life be without feeling like you make a difference, like you played a role in someone’s life?
3. “No one has ever become poor by giving.”– Anne Frank
You’ll still have just enough.
4. “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.”– H. Jackson Brown Jr.
You’ll never have wrinkles from a scowl if you know the power of giving!
5. “Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.”– Eleanor Roosevelt
Have you seen the movie, Forrest Gump? You give and the happiness naturally finds its way to you.
6. “We must give more in order to get more. It is the generous giving of ourselves that produces the generous harvest.”– Orison Swett Marden
Time to go back to our roots!
7. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”– Charles Dickens
Giving is like a window of opportunity, your moment of empowerment.
8. “Happiness doesn’t result from what we get, but from what we give.”– Ben Carson
A big, fat laugh never gets old. From happy stomach aches to gleaming red cheeks, it has so much to give!
9. “It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.”― Albert Einstein
How much have you taken out?
10. “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”― Pablo Picasso
Who knew life brings us to a full circle of love and care?
11. “Think of giving not as a duty but as a privilege.”― John D. Rockefeller Jr.
If you think of it as an obligation, as a mandatory task, it loses its purpose, the purpose of joy.
12. “I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.”― Maya Angelou
In the rat race that we live in, the soul needs a little cup of hot chocolate too!
13. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”– Mahatma Gandhi
So, the next time you feel lost, you know where to find yourself!
14. “The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away.”— Dorothy Day
You want happiness, give happiness. You want peace, give peace. And see how the universe conspires to give it back to you.
15. “Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.”— Booker T. Washington
Now you know the tiny-little secret of all the happy people who never complain, no matter what. The sprinkle of glitter that never fails to add a shine in our life.
16. “Giving is not just about making a donation. It is about making a difference.”– Kathy Calvin
A difference that empathizes with others and contributes to human living.
17. “We rise by lifting others.”– Robert Ingersoll
Oh yes. Very well, we do.
18. “Only by giving are you able to receive more than you already have.”– Jim Rohn
So, make it count!
19. “It’s not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving.”– Mother Teresa
Remember, there is no great wealth than having the heart’s desire to give.
20. “Give people the best of what is within you and help others to awaken to their best self so that they too can live a life of abundance.”– ATGW
There’s no excuse to NOT give. Even if you are the poorest man alive, you can STILL give.
21. “At the end it’s not about what you have or even what you’ve accomplished. It’s about who you’ve lifted up, who you’ve made better. It’s about what you’ve given back.”– Denzel Washington
People are going to remember what you have given, not what you have gotten.
22. “He who serves the most, reaps the most.”– Jim Rohn
It’s like Alice in Wonderland, the best people are bonkers to give it their all!
23. “To do more for the world than the world does for you – that is success.”– Henry Ford
Who said that we can’t play our own little role in the world?
24. “To ease another’s heartache is to forget one’s own.”– Abraham Lincoln
Two friends having each other’s back in the movie, ‘The Bucket List’, that is how it feels to hold out a helping hand.
25. “You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.”– Amy Carmichael
After all, there’s a reason why love is the most selfless emotion (and also the most superior) of all!
Living is Giving Quotes
26. “Life’s persistent and most urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?'”– Martin Luther King Jr.
Everything else comes and goes, the feeling of having the power to give, it stays.
27. “Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting.”– Brian Tracy
Life is always a two-way street; remember the street that you have walked and don’t shy away to come back the same way.
28. “It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved.”– Mother Teresa
We were always taught the world is hungry, the lack of food but not so much about the hunger of the heart, the lacking of love. Why!
29. “If you’re in the luckiest one percent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 percent.”– Warren Buffett
It’s amazing how even the most successful people in the world reckon the power of giving.
30. “While we do our good works let us not forget that the real solution lies in a world in which charity will have become unnecessary.”– Chinua Ache
Why not let the finishing point of worry be the starting point of a long-lost smile?
31. “Give, but give until it hurts.”– Mother Teresa
There is genuinely no upper limit, just how far you can travel without losing yourself.
32. “Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present.”– Albert Camus
To build a better future, you have to take that leap of faith in the present
33. “The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve.”– Albert Schweitzer
It takes a real man to find real happiness in the world every person is lost in delusion
34. “What does one person give to another? He gives of himself, of the most precious he has, he gives of his life…”– Erich Fromm
Let’s all pledge to become a healer and never a destroyer!
35. “The most truly generous persons are those who give silently without hope of praise or reward.”– Carol Ryrie Brink
Remember, no act of giving has ever been successful that was accompanied with a parade.
36. “Every charitable act is a stepping stone toward heaven.”– Henry Ward Beecher
The purpose of life is to be happy on difficult roads.
37. “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.”– John Holmes
Add the act of giving to your squat routine, you’ll feel the endorphins sooner!
38. “If nature has made you for a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart; and though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full…”– Frances Hodgson Burnett
Afterall, it is the heart that sees what is invisible to the eye.
39. “Charity begins at home but should not end there.”– Francis Bacon
Your smile lasts long when you don’t have to regret the chances you didn’t take.
40. “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”– John Bunyan
It can be as little as a smile or as large as a whole new mansion.
41. “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.”– Roy T. Bennett
A candle in the dark can sometimes be all the light that they have.
42. “We only have what we give.”– Isabel Allende
Rainbows in the rain and stars in the dark, a good way to look at it!
43. “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.”– Mary Anne Radmacher
You will be able to find beauty in everything you do, when you give.
44. “You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.”– Kahlil Gibran
And when you focus on the good that you give, the good gets better.
45. “The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.”– Mahatma Gandhi
Well, one can only imagine the power of giving.
46. “One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.”– Shannon L. Adler
A warm hug, that’s all you need when the going gets tough. So why not also give it?
47. “A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.”– Steve Maraboli
When you give, that is when you grow.
48. “When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.”– Maya Angelou
It is about remembering what you learnt along the road of giving.
49. “Good works is giving to the poor and the helpless, but divine works is showing them their worth to the One who matters.”– Criss Jami, Killosophy
You can take a moment and make it perfect!
50. “For it is in giving that we receive.”– St. Francis of Assisi
You receive innate joy, pure smiles and uncountable blessings.
Quotes about Giving to Others
51. “Presents are made for the pleasure of who gives them, not the merits of who receives them.”– Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
There is a different kind of calmness you receive when you give someone.
52. “Always have a willing hand to help someone, you might be the only one that does.”– Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
You don’t know how important it is to someone, a ray of hope.
53. “Help others without any reason and give without the expectation of receiving anything in return.”– Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
Just like the sun who shines every day to give us light but look how it never loses the shine of its own.
54. “You give to yourself by giving of yourself.”– Matt Kahn
Happiness, satisfaction, peace, calmness, joy and the list is endless.
55. “You’re learning to be nourished by the love you give, not by the validation offered in response to your giving.”– Matt Kahn
After all, miracles happen to those who believe it.
56. “I don’t think you ever stop giving. I really don’t. I think it’s an on-going process. And it’s not just about being able to write a check. It’s being able to touch somebody’s life.” –Oprah Winfrey
To serve and to care, that’s how you know you made a good living.
57. “You get the best out of others when you give the best of yourself.”– Harvey Firestone
Like I said, you get what you give.
58. “Give cheerfully and freely. It is the energy behind the giving that matters so do not give grudgingly. The law of cause and effect guarantees that you shall receive plenty for what you give.”– David Cameron Gikandi
It makes you human, more so than ever before.
59. “You cannot afford to leave out giving in your life plan. You cannot afford to leave it to chance occurrence.”– David Cameron Gikandi
That’s because giving is a necessity, not an option.
60. “Giving frees us from the familiar territory of our own needs by opening our mind to the unexplained worlds occupied by the needs of others.”– Barbara Bush
It is one of the most beautiful reasons to be happy.
61. “Love grows by giving. The love we give away is the only love we keep. The only way to retain love is to give it away.”– Elbert Hubbard
Giving is being truthful, being truthful is truly living.
62. “Whatever you think people are withholding from you–praise, appreciation, assistance, loving care, and so on–give it to them.”– Eckhart Tolle
When you give it away, it naturally finds its way to you.
63. “You cannot receive what you don’t give. Outflow determines inflow.”– Eckhart Tolle
Give. Give and give. That’s the only way to receive.
64. “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.”– Lao Tzu
It is your way to enjoy the little things.
65. “We must understand that the only thing that we keep forever is the thing that we give away, and the more you give the more you get.”– Denver Moore (from the film “Same Kind of Different as Me”)
The more you give, the more you feel fulfilled. Irony, but true!
66. “I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy.”― Kahlil Gibran
It really is. It can’t be explained, it can only be experienced.
67. “Give freely to the world these gifts of love and compassion. Do not concern yourself with how much you receive in return, just know in your heart it will be returned.”– Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
When you take control of your actions, you take control of your life.
68. “Love only grows by sharing. You can only have more for yourself by giving it away to others.”– Brian Tracy
You want more? Give more. There’s no other way to do it.
69. “Secrets. Funny how, when you’re about to be given something precious, something you’ve wanted for a long time, you suddenly feel nervous over taking it… Everyone wants more than anything to be allowed into someone else’s most secret self. Everyone wants to allow someone into their most secret self. Everyone feels so alone inside that their deepest wish is for someone to know their secret being, because then they are alone no longer. Don’t we all long for this? Yet when it’s offered it’s frightening, because you might not live up to the desires of the one who bestows the gift. And frightening because you know that accepting such a gift means you’ll want-perhaps be expected- to offer a similar gift in return. Which means giving your *self* away. And what’s more frightening than that?”– Aidan Chambers, This is All: The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn
Keep it simple, be the sunshine.
70. “By giving people the power to share, we’re making the world more transparent.”― Mark Zuckerberg
Compassion heals all wounds, yours and theirs.
Giving your All Quotes
71. “Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.”― Khalil Gibran
It’s not give-and-take, it’s GIVE and take.
72. “The degree of loving is measured by the degree of giving.”― Edwin Louis Cole
It’s like riding waves, you get to be a good surfer in life by giving.
73. “Giving yourself some loving attention is not selfish. It is sensible. If you feel loved and cherished–even if it is only by yourself–then you will have more love to give to others, too.”― Penelope Quest, Reiki for Life: A Complete Guide to Reiki Practice
Sometimes, you have to put yourself first. Even if it is just for a minute.
74. “One must be poor to know the luxury of giving.”― George Eliot
Well, I read it somewhere, real happiness is only for poor people.
75. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”– Mohammed Ali
A small rent for a large bubble bath of happiness.
76. “We know only too well that what we are doing is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. But if the drop were not there, the ocean would be missing something.”– Mother Teresa
It is about finding completeness in small actions.
77. “It’s easier to take than to give. It’s nobler to give than to take. The thrill of taking lasts a day. The thrill of giving lasts a lifetime.”– Joan Marques
Will it be easy? Nope. But, Worth it? For sure.
78. “Love cannot remain by itself—it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action and that action is service.”– Mother Teresa
Love is like dancing to beats of music, the music of giving.
79. “He who wishes to secure the good of others, has already secured his own.”– Confucius
Good intentions are miraculous!
Giving Back Quotes
80. “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”– President Barack Obama
There is always a reason to change, a reason to smile.
81. “Wealth isn’t always measured in dollar signs. We each have time, talent and creativity, all of which can be powerful forces for positive change. Share your blessings in whatever form they come and to whatever level you have been blessed.”– Jon M. Huntsman
Time to find that positivity!
82. “Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve”– Martin Luther King, Jr.
Your service to the human kind can keep you in the hearts forever.
83. “The most precious thing I have to give is my time.”– Silvia Hartmann
Take a day off from work, spend some time with kids at the orphanage and you’ll know what we mean.
84. “Money is not the only commodity that is fun to give. We can give time, we can give our expertise, we can give our love or simply give a smile. What does that cost? The point is, none of us can ever run out of something worthwhile to give.”– Steve Goodier
Give and you’ll get to live for the moments that you can’t put into words.
85. “When there is charity and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance.”– Francis of Assisi.
Imagine a world free of fear and you will naturally be wanting to contribute to it.
86. “There could be no definition of a successful life that does not include service to others.”– President George H. W. Bush
Tossing lifeboats during a shipwreck makes you feel like a saviour at work.
87. “Sometimes those who give the most are the ones with the least to spare.”– Mike Mcintyre, The Kindness of Strangers
You will be amazed to know the most giving people hardly have enough to survive. If they can still give, why can’t you?
88. “We are not put on this earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”– Jeff Warner
It’s like giving hugs, you hold tight with the hope to be held in return.
89. “No act of kindness. No matter how small, is ever wasted.”– AESOP
That’s the best part, when you give, you can never be mistaken.
90. “Our primary purpose in life is to help others”– Dalai Lama
Where do you think the Dalai Lama derives his positive aura?
91. “We can’t help everyone but everyone can help someone”– Ronald Reagan
One step at a time and you’ll be walking in no time!
92. “Only a life with others is a life worth living”– Albert Einstein
When two people have each other’s back, it means they’ve found purpose.
93. “We rise by lifting others”– Robert Ingersoll
You’ll rise up, unafraid and high like waves, and then you’ll be willing to do it a thousand times.
94. “The happiest people in life are the givers, not the getters.”– Anonymous
Remember, in the battle of I want more, you are often left with nothing.
95. “Do for one what you wish you could do for millions”– Anonymous
It all starts at home, where you can and where you should.
96. “Life is an echo, what you send out comes back”– Anonymous
You reap what you sow, so why not start early and see what the seed of giving has in store for us?
97. “Giving someone shelter of love, doesn’t depend on their nature. It depends on your nature.”– Anonymous
When you don’t let people down, nobody lets you down, ever.
98. “Don’t focus on you, focus on what you can give others.”– Anonymous
It feels great to do the right thing, one day at a timeṣ.
99. “Your greatness is not what you have, it’s what you give”– Anonymous
So, how do you define your greatness?
100. “The secret of living is giving”– Anonymous
And now that you have discovered it, what’s the wait worth for?
101. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands: one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.”– Audrey Hepburn
And that helping is the whole foundation of human living.
Why Should You Give?
But, what’s in it for me?
While giving is a selfless act, if this question still lingers your mind, let me tell you, the act of giving has more for the givers than for the receivers.
Here are some ways out of the never-ending list of Why giving is good for you:
1. Lights up your living
It makes you happy from the heart; makes you feel good about your actions and adds a pinch of positivity into your life. When things aren’t going according to your plans, giving will remind you about the goodness in the world that you are yet to experience. Rightly said, when you don’t see the good, be good.
2. Grants you forgiveness
It also acts as redemption for many, for those who are still guilty of a mistake you committed long back, giving and loving helps clean the plate. It is your chance to seek compassion, fix your mistakes, and never repeat them.
For times, when you thought there’s no turning back, turn towards giving – it will give you a fresh start.
3. Benefits the society
It acts as a small but important step to make the world a place where there’s no hatred, hurt, loneliness, and poverty. You can contribute to the betterment of this world, the situation, and the minds of people around you.
4. Makes you responsible
Giving makes you more mindful of how you spend your resources. If there’s a cause you relate to and desperately want to contribute irrespective of your own financial standing, you will learn to do some things in limited availability.
You realize that every moment is valuable, it’s a minute you can spend some time with people who care.
5. Giving inspires giving
Every time you give, you don’t just give a resource or an emotion, you share a thought. A thought that says kindness can do magic. People on the receiving end pay it forward with whatever little they can contribute. This cycle of giving eventually makes this world better, happier, and brighter.
6. Promotes good health
Yes, you read that right. Giving can also give you good health. There is a wide range of research that advocates for this. In fact, a study in 1999 led by Doug Oman of the University of California discovered that elderly who volunteer for organizations were 44% less likely to die in the next five years. Amazing, isn’t it?
7. Keeps you fulfilled
There’s so much that you can give – time, attention, friendship, or even money. But the best part about giving is that you never fall short of what you give. Whether or not you have enough, you are satisfied at all times. And of course, like the quotes we discussed above said – you receive what you give.
Start Giving, Today!
Give. Breathe. Pause if you may, but don’t stop.
The world has enough takers, let’s experience the real joy and see life from the side of the givers.
Being a giver doesn’t take much away from you, but rains love on the receiver.
Remember, two steps forward and one step backward, it is still a step forward to giving!
Surabhi has a deep passion for words. She puts her heart and mind into whatever she pursues and craves for creative ventures. She has always been keen on creating original content that can make a difference. In her experience as a content writer, she has had the opportunity to work on several fields with Psychology being her favorite. Surabhi says, words have the power to transform the world, better than a sword. So she hopes to contribute her bit to this revolution. At TheMindFool, she feels lucky to have the opportunity to share content capable of bringing about a change in the lives of the readers.