Words can be really powerful. Especially words of the wise, which can actually change one’s life. And while mentioning such powerful words, Eckhart Tolle Quotes undoubtedly have its own share.
Lost in the chaos of life, we unconsciously lose our control over us. In that stance, meaningful words of the great minds can make us thrive again. Thus, these wonderful Eckhart Tolle Quotes can be the balm to your inner wounds. How? Let’s see. So…
Who is Eckhart Tolle?
Eckhart Tolle is a well-known spiritual teacher, public speaker, and the bestselling author, based in Canada. His genre ranges from Spirituality, Psychology, and Philosophy to Metaphysics. In the words of The New York Times, Tolle is ‘the most popular spiritual author in the United States’.
Born in Germany and educated at the Universities of London and Cambridge, Eckhart had a great spiritual transformation at the age of 29. This inner transformation directed his course of life to the divine bliss and then, eventually to the spiritual path. Thus, he poured this divine realization in his words which got him the fame of ‘the most spiritually influential person in the world’, (Watkins Review).
So, let’s explore more about the beautiful dimensions of life in the words of Eckhart Tolle.
101 Eckhart Tolle Quotes
Now, we have compiled here some of the wonderful Eckhart Tolle Quotes that will surely bring you nearer to the beautiful feelings of peace, calm, fulfillment, and inner consciousness. So, have a look at these quotes.
Eckhart Tolle Quotes Power of Now
1. “Wherever you are, be there totally.”– Eckhart Tolle
So don’t be there merely physically. Be there heartily to actually enjoy it.
2. “People don’t realize that now is all there ever is; there is no past or future except as memory or anticipation in your mind.”– Eckhart Tolle
Hence, don’t fall into the illusion. The time you have now is the only time to live!
3. “How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment.”– Eckhart Tolle
That’s all. Now, while reading this or doing anything else, this moment is the best one.
4. “Accept—then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it… This will miraculously transform your whole life.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, instead of blaming, you can actually start having a positive vision.
5. “Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have. Make the NOW the primary focus of your life.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, don’t spill the time you have now while thinking about the past or future. Live NOW.
6. “The past has no power over the present moment.”– Eckhart Tolle
Indeed! So, why bother about it?
7. “The more you are focused on time—past and future—the more you miss the Now, the most precious thing there is.”– Eckhart Tolle
And you feel restless without knowing that the cure is within your hands!
8. “Let me say it again: the present moment is all you ever have.”– Eckhart Tolle
That’s all. So, why not LIVE it?
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Change
9. “Awareness is the greatest agent for change.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, you need to be aware of yourself…, of what you need to change.
10. “Nothing ever happened in the past that can prevent you from being present now; and if the past cannot prevent you from being present now, what power does it have?”– Eckhart Tolle
Nothing! NOW is powerful. So, use it.
11. “Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle
So, don’t shy away from changes. Indeed, it is for good.
12. “How do you let go of attachment to things? Don’t even try. It’s impossible. Attachment to things drops away by itself when you no longer seek to find yourself in them.”– Eckhart Tolle
Yes, beautiful, isn’t it? So, don’t cling. Let the change be.
13. “The answer is, who you are cannot be defined through thinking or mental labels or definitions, because it’s beyond that. It is the very sense of being, or presence, that is there when you become conscious of the present moment. In essence, you and what we call the present moment are, at the deepest level, one.”– Eckhart Tolle
Wow! Indeed, you are the one who matters. Not time, not even changing times.
14. “Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”– Eckhart Tolle
And you news to get that power. Atleast, to welcome the positive changes.
15. “If not now, when?”– Eckhart Tolle
Here’s the best moment to change. Yes, take your move now!
‘Self-discovery’ Quotes by Eckhart Tolle
16. “The ultimate truth of who you are is not I am this or I am that, but I Am.”– Eckhart Tolle
Indeed, we can’t be defined with adjectives. Rather, the consciousness of existence is the definition.
17. “Give up defining yourself – to yourself or to others. You won’t die. You will come to life. And don’t be concerned with how others define you. When they define you, they are limiting themselves, so it’s their problem.”– Eckhart Tolle
In fact, your existence is too large to be defined in words. So, accept it. And don’t find meaning.
18. “When you let go of the belief that you should or need to know who you are, what happens to confusion? Suddenly it is gone. When you fully accept that you don’t know, you actually enter a state of peace and clarity that is closer to who you truly are than thought could ever be. Defining yourself through thought is limiting yourself.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, don’t try too hard to find your true self. Let it be. You don’t need it anyway.
19. “What a liberation to realize that the “voice in my head” is not who I am. Who am I then? The one who sees that.”― Eckhart Tolle
Thus, you are not the conditioned mind that tells things. No. And when you realize it, you see the real you.
20. “If there were nothing but thought in you, you wouldn’t even know you are thinking. You would be like a dreamer who doesn’t know he is dreaming. When you know you are dreaming, you are awake within the dream.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, you already have that consciousness. Because you define thoughts, not the other way round.
21. “You are not the voice in your mind, but the one who is aware of it.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, don’t force yourself to follow the commands of your mind. Be calm, be still. Then take your move.
22. “So the single most vital step on your journey toward enlightenment is this: learn to disidentify from your mind.”– Eckhart Tolle
Mind can only work in rational spheres. And life is beyond it. So you are…
23. “You are not a problem that needs solving.”– Eckhart Tolle
Of course! So, why bother yourself in the illusion of defining you?
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Life
24. “Life is the dancer and you are the dance.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, things go their way in life. And it shapes what you are today. So, just accept it.
25. “It is not uncommon for people to spend their whole life waiting to start living.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, have you started yet?
26. “Be true to life by being true to your inner purpose. As you become present and thereby total in what you do, your actions become charged with spiritual power.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, the answer is within. The power is within you.
27. “Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, don’t blame it. Indeed, life is bringing the best for you!
28. “Death is a stripping away of all that is not you. The secret of life is to “die before you die” and find that there is no death.”― Eckhart Tolle
Yes, it’s a lifelong process to be what you actually are. Realizing it, we’ll see – death is just an illusion.
29. “Living up to an image that you have of yourself or that other people have of you is inauthentic living.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, don’t try to be someone. You’re already one. Indeed, the unique one.
30. “You can only lose something that you have, but you cannot lose something that you are.”– Eckhart Tolle
… Repeat it whenever you try to change your ‘self’.
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Happiness
31. “To end the misery that has afflicted the human condition for thousands of years, you have to start with yourself and take responsibility for your inner state at any given moment. That means now.”– Eckhart Tolle
Clearly, a positive change begins with you. That’s the gospel.
32. “Don’t Seek Happiness. If you seek it, you won’t find it, because seeking is the antithesis of happiness”– Eckhart Tolle
Instead, you naturally own happiness. Just try to feel it.
33. “Is there a difference between happiness and inner peace? Yes. Happiness depends on conditions being perceived as positive; inner peace does not.”– Eckhart Tolle
Hence, the inner peace is stable, no matter how the outer world works.
34. “Pleasure is always derived from something outside you, whereas joy arises from within.”– Eckhart Tolle
And pleasure is fitful. But joy is constant.
35. “If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, be happy within!
36. “Even the most seemingly unpleasant situations – if you become aligned with it, something good will emerge from that.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, you just have to have that vision for being happy.
37. “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.”― Eckhart Tolle
Indeed! Don’t we often ignore the good we have?
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Unhappiness
38. “… There are two ways of being unhappy. Not getting what you want is one. Getting what you want is the other.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, it is inner. And if you aren’t happy inside, outer things don’t really matter.
39. “Guilt, regret, resentment, sadness and all forms of non-forgiveness are caused by too much past and not enough present.”― Eckhart Tolle
So just leave there. And unhappiness is gone!
40. “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, maintain your inner composure no matter what the situation is.
41. “Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is.”― Eckhart Tolle
Thus, happy or sad, it is just your thoughts.
42. “Stress is caused by being “here” but wanting to be “there”.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, just pause. And enjoy where you are.
43. “Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry – all forms of fear – are caused by too much future, and not enough presence.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, we were taking loads of future while running the present. Rather silly!
44. “All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present.”– Eckhart Tolle
Indeed, the present is the only truth. Accept it and your mind will fall into place.
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Mind
45. “If small things have the power to disturb you, then who you think you are is exactly that: small.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, don’t work upon things. It’s your mind you need to work upon.
46. “All the things that truly matter, beauty, love, creativity, joy and inner peace arise from beyond the mind.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, don’t cage yourself within the limits of your mind!
47. “Life isn’t as serious as the mind makes it out to be.”― Eckhart Tolle
Thus, relax. Breath in. And life is good!
48. “Anything that you resent and strongly react to in another is also in you.”– Eckhart Tolle
That is why, your mind is pointing to it unconsciously.
49. “All problems are illusions of the mind.”– Eckhart Tolle
Life is good. Thus, don’t create complications
50. “The moment you realize you are not present, you are present. Whenever you are able to observe your mind, you are no longer trapped in it. Another factor has come in, something that is not of the mind: the witnessing presence.”– Eckhart Tolle
That subtle consciousness… That is the moment of true freedom.
51. “When you wash your hands, when you make a cup of coffee, when you’re waiting for the elevator – instead of indulging in thinking, these are all opportunities for being there as a still, alert presence.”– Eckhart Tolle
Yes, consciousness doesn’t need extreme situations. In fact, it can be attained in our daily activities.
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Creativity and Actions
52. “Any action is often better than no action, especially if you have been stuck in an unhappy situation for a long time.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, take your move and change the situation!
53. “Whenever an answer, a solution, or a creative idea is needed, stop thinking for a moment by focusing attention on your inner energy field. … When you resume thinking, it will be fresh and creative.”– Eckhart Tolle
And Science backs it!
54. “If it is a mistake, at least you learn something, in which case it’s no longer a mistake. If you remain stuck, you learn nothing.”– Eckhart Tolle
So better to make a mistake, no?
55. “The power for creating a better future is contained in the present moment: You create a good future by creating a good present.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, don’t worry. You have the power now!
56. “Don’t wait to be successful at some future point. Have a successful relationship with the present moment and be fully present in whatever you are doing. That is success.”– Eckhart Tolle
57. “All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness.”– Eckhart Tolle
Of course, creation needs the stillness.
58. “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, when you think you lost all, it’s a new creation. And, maybe, netter!
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Love
59. “To love is to recognize yourself in another.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, have you felt it?
60. “Love is a state of being. Your love is not outside, it is deep within you. You can never lose it, and it cannot leave you. It is not dependent on some other body, some external form.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, feel it within you.
61. “The intensity with which true love is felt can vary. There may be one person who reflects your love back to you more clearly and more intensely than others, and if that person feels the same toward you, it can be said that you are in a love relationship with him or her.”– Eckhart Tolle
But love is still the same.
62. “Love is not selective, just as the light of the sun is not selective. It does not make one person special. It is not exclusive. Exclusivity is not the love of God but the ‘love’ of ego.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, we’re all bound with the strings of love…
63. “The bond that connects you with that person (you love) is the same bond that connects you with the person sitting next to you on a bus, or with a bird, a tree, a flower. Only the degree of intensity with which it is felt differs.”– Eckhart Tolle
And what can be more motivating for Universal bonds?
64. “A genuine relationship is one that is not dominated by the ego with its image-making and self-seeking. In a genuine relationship, there is an outward flow of open, alert attention toward the other person in which there is no wanting whatsoever.”– Eckhart Tolle
Yes, a true relationship is inner…
65. “To know another human being in their essence, you don’t really need to know anything about them — their past, their history, their story.”– Eckhart Tolle
Indeed, you need to feel their soul…
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Reality
66. “Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, your inner stance is real. Others are an illusion.
67. “Time isn’t precious at all, because it is an illusion. What you perceive as precious is not time but the one point that is out of time: the Now. That is precious indeed.”– Eckhart Tolle
Living right now is precious indeed!
68. “Words reduce reality to something the human mind can grasp, which isn’t very much.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, how can we expect everything to be expressible? Some are just felt.
69. “Language consists of five basic sounds produced by the vocal cords…Do you believe some combination of such basic sounds could ever explain who you are, or the ultimate purpose of the universe, or even what a tree or stone is in its depth?”– Eckhart Tolle
Of course not! Indeed the reality is beyond words…
70. “The ego says, ‘I shouldn’t have to suffer,’ and that thought makes you suffer so much more. It is a distortion of the truth, which is always paradoxical. The truth is that you need to say yes to suffering before you can transcend it.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, accept everything. You will get the worth eventually.
71. “Prejudice of any kind implies that you are identified with the thinking mind. It means you don’t see the other human being anymore, but only your own concept of that human being. To reduce the aliveness of another human being to a concept is already a form of violence.”– Eckhart Tolle
And we all need to learn it.
72. “You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.”― Eckhart Tolle
Yes, it’s in you!
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Acceptance and Rejection
73. “Accept … Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”– Eckhart Tolle
So your life will be a journey, not a struggle.
74. “Inner resistance to whatever arises in the present moment pulls you back into unconsciousness. Inner resistance is some form of negativity, complaining, fear, aggression, or anger. This is important because whenever you complain about what somebody else does you’re already beginning to fall into that trap of unconsciousness.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, unfold your wings. Free your mind from anger, doubt, or fear.
75. “All you really need to do is accept this moment fully. You are then at ease in the here and now and at ease with yourself.”– Eckhart Tolle
76. “…Only through the letting go of resistance, through becoming “vulnerable,” can you discover your true and essential invulnerability.”– Eckhart Tolle
Indeed, to identify our weakness, to rise above it.
77. “Always say “yes” to the present moment. What could be more futile, more insane, than to create inner resistance to what already is? What could be more insane than to oppose life itself, which is now and always now?”– Eckhart Tolle
Hence, just embrace it.
78. “To complain is always non-acceptance of what is. It invariably carries an unconscious negative charge. When you complain, you make yourself into a victim. When you speak out, you are in your power. So change the situation by taking action or by speaking out if necessary or possible; leave the situation or accept it. All else is madness.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, don’t be a complaining victim. In fact, you have the power of acceptance.
79. “Acceptance looks like a passive state, but in reality it brings something entirely new into this world. That peace, a subtle energy vibration, is consciousness.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, acceptance is powerful.
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Thoughts
80. “Thinking is only a small aspect of consciousness. Thought cannot exist without consciousness, but consciousness does not need thought.”– Eckhart Tolle
Though we often mix it up!
81. “If you are in a state of intense presence you are free of thought, yet highly alert. If your conscious attention sinks below a certain level, thought rushes in, the mental noise returns, stillness is lost, you’re back in time.”– Eckhart Tolle
And all we need is that eternal consciousness…
82. “Look closely and you will find that your thinking and behavior are designed to keep the pain going, for yourself and others. If you were truly conscious of it, the pattern would dissolve, for to want more pain is insanity, and nobody is consciously insane.”– Eckhart Tolle
83. “If you identify with a mental position, then if you are wrong, your mind-based sense of self is seriously threatened with annihilation. So you as the ego cannot afford to be wrong. To be wrong is to die. Wars have been fought over this, and countless relationships have broken down.”– Eckhart Tolle
And this causes all our restless struggles.
84. “Not to be able to stop thinking is a dreadful affliction, but we don’t realize this because almost everyone is suffering from it, so it is considered normal.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, have you realized it yet?
85. “Worry pretends to be necessary but serves no useful purpose.”– Eckhart Tolle
And we all know that!
Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Belief
86. “Faith is the substance of whatever it is that we hope for. The important thing is that we teach that faith is connected to goof works and responsibility.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, free yourself from its boundations to have real faith!
87. “In essence, you are neither inferior nor superior to anyone. True self-esteem and true humility arise out of that realization. In the eyes of the ego, self-esteem and humility are contradictory. In truth, they are one and the same.”– Eckhart Tolle
And it seems more true to believe!
88. “In surrender, you no longer need ego defenses and false masks. You become very simple, very real.”– Eckhart Tolle
‘Because your mind no more needs a shield for the ego.
89. “Whatever you fight, you strengthen, and what you resist, persists.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, don’t struggle against yourself. And you win!
90. “You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you, and allowing that goodness to emerge. But it can only emerge if something fundamental changes in your state of consciousness.”– Eckhart Tolle
Indeed, it’s within us. But are we conscious?
91. “Don’t let a mad world tell you that success is anything other than a successful present moment.”– Eckhart Tolle
… Definitely, it’s the only gospel we need!
92. “Surrender to what is. Say “yes” to life — and see how life suddenly starts working for you rather than against you.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, don’t struggle. And let it be.
93. “I have lived with several Zen masters – all of them cats.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, with belief, even cats can be the Zen Masters.
94. “Being spiritual has nothing to do with what you believe and everything to do with your state of consciousness.”– Eckhart Tolle
Cause when you are conscious, you can even see beyond your worldly beliefs.
Best Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Spirituality
95. “Some people awaken spiritually without ever coming into contact with any meditation technique or any spiritual teaching. They may awaken simply because they can’t stand the suffering anymore.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, when your soul cries for freedom, you get it in that moment .
96. “Nonresistance, non-judgement, and non-attachment are the three aspects of true freedom and enlightened living.”– Eckhart Tolle
Of course, yes! This is the first move towards spiritual goals.
97. “Be the silent watcher of your thoughts and behavior. You are beneath the thinker, you are the stillness beneath the mental noise, you are the love and joy beneath the pain.”– Eckhart Tolle
Indeed, you are above the cause and effect. To conclude, you are you.
98. “This incessant mental noise prevents you from finding that realm of inner stillness that is inseparable from Being.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, pause. Thus, calm your mind. And you will listen to the silent voice of your soul…
99. “Become comfortable with not knowing.”– Eckhart Tolle
Indeed! Hence, in the vast Universe, can we really know everything?
100. “It is through gratitude for the present moment that the spiritual dimension of life opens up.”– Eckhart Tolle
So, be thankful for this very moment. This, indeed, makes you more spiritual.
101. “Being must be felt. It can’t be thought.”– Eckhart Tolle
Thus, our existence is the inner realization. And we can’t force it with our thoughts.
So, you have gone through these wonderful quotes. Very well! Now – pause. Feel. And then adopt these in your life. Of course, you will see the positive change!
How Are Eckhart Tolle Quotes Worthful?
In this chaotic world, we all get stressed, upset, and restless. But life is not about racing on an unknown track. Instead, it is the dance of your soul, the freedom of your existence. And this is what we all need to realize. In this stance, these mindful words by Tolle can be your first move in self-exploration and inner consciousness.
Clearly, Eckhart is famous for his deep and subtle perspective towards life that he explains in ordinary words. Indeed, this makes his words more powerful. And what makes him different from the crowd is his profound understanding of the subtle realizations that he expresses wonderfully in the simplest of words.
Hence, his writings have helped countless people around the world in attaining inner peace, fulfillment, and spiritual consciousness. So, unlike other spiritual teachers’, his words don’t puzzle you even more. On the contrary, they make you realize the simplicity of life.
Also, you can read his famous books to know more –
Eckhart Tolle’s Most Famous Books:
- The Power of Now
- A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose
- Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from The Power of Now
- Stillness Speaks
- Oneness With All Life Treasury Edition: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth
- Living a Life of Inner Peace, etc.
So, do you have so many unanswered questions in life? Or, are you getting vexed with the world? If yes, don’t worry. In fact, we all have it at some point or the other. But rising above it is also in our hands. And these beautiful Eckhart Tolle Quotes can be your path milestone.
Maybe, these can’t make you get that ultimate state of bliss. No. Still, these can surely be the first move in the path of bliss. So, leave the world and see the power in you. In Tolle’s words – ‘Our true selves are the formless Consciousness, which is Being, which is God. We are all One, and thus we are all God.’
Kirtika is a motivated soul, passionate about writing, speaking and creating. She has her hands in Literature, Psychology, Life Coaching, Spirituality, Wellness, Sciences and everything creative. As an entity of the vast Universe, she wants to expand her existence with self belief and self exploration. With TheMindFool, she wants to help others in finding their real self.