To be humane makes us human. Not all creatures are bestowed with this beautiful emotion of compassion. Henceforth, you can see – every beautiful soul has imparted some compassion quotes in their words.
Yes, our lives are connected in a circle of compassion. Clearly, we can get its glimpses in every good that happens to us. Indeed, all in the Universe deserve your love. And every little move makes our world better.
So, let’s take that little move! Keeping your hearts open makes it a better place for happiness. Embrace it, embrace others, embrace your soul!
How Do ‘Compassion Quotes’ Help?
So, here are the ways in which these compassion quotes do good for you –
- The compassion quotes open a whole different perspective of compassion for you.
- It provides better insights in the words of wise.
- This can promote your positive actions.
- It triggers and reminds you of the sensitivity and power you already have in yourself.
- Compassion quotes let you convey your mind in more powerful words.
- This can be really motivational.
‘Let’s make our world better! Let’s take that little move…’ And these quotes can help you in that little move.
101 Compassion Quotes
So, here we have compiled some of the best compassion quotes said by some famous people. Furthermore, these are arranged under the heads of types of compassion it portrays. Thus, these empowering and inspirational quotes will pave your path to kindness and compassion. Let’s proceed!
Self Compassion Quotes
Self-compassion is befriending yourself. Thus, accepting oneself in hard times and extending one’s compassion to oneself. And no compassion is complete without this. The empowering goal of compassion can only be achieved by the mindful path to self-compassion. Here are it’s powerful quotes –
1. ‘If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.’– Jack Kornfield
So, embrace yourself first. Trust me, you deserve it!
2. ‘Caring for others requires caring for yourself.’– Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama
Your void can be filled by you only. Without your soul, can you even love others?
3. ‘Remember you have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.’– Louise L. Hay
The gospel is this simple! So, have you ever had this idea?
4. ‘Having Compassion starts and ends with having compassion for all those unwanted parts of ourselves.’– Pema Chodron
No, your flaws aren’t ugly. These make you more beautiful as a being!
5. ‘When you are compassionate with yourself, you trust in your soul which you let guide your life.’– John O’ Donohue
So, don’t forget your soul. Be compassionate. Spread your wings!
6. ‘Accept everything about yourself – I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end – no apologies, no regrets.’– Clark Moustakas
Yes, this is not ignorance. The art is yours, you are free to fumble!
7. ‘Loving yourself is healing the world!’– Jaymie Gerard
The world begins from within you. Thus, loving yourself is the first step in making the world a better place.
8. ‘To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.’– Oscar Wilde
Who is that one person who’s never going to ditch you? Yes, love that person within you.
9. ‘You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.’– Sharon Salzberg
Thus, enjoy the bliss!
10. ‘Having compassion for yourself means that you honor and accept your humanness.’– Dr. Kristin Neff
And isn’t it what empowers you?
Quotes about Kindness and Compassion
Universal or global compassion is expanding the practice for every being as a child of the cosmos. So, this is the concern to alleviate the suffering of all, regardless of their state, class, position, thought process, etc. Let’s dig into it!
11. ‘Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.’– Dalai Lama
Thus, don’t ignore this. You are human when you are humane.
12. ‘The whole idea of compassion is based on a keen awareness of the interdependence of these living beings, which are all part of one another, and all are involved in one another.’– Thomas Merton
Yes, feel your infinite bond with all around you. Breath in the love-filled air!
13. ‘Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.’– Confucius
Are you having these? Ask your soul…
14. ‘Compassion is a call, a demand of nature, to relieve the unhappy as hunger is a natural call for food.’– Joseph Butler
You’re born with this beautiful emotion. Let it bloom!
15. ‘Compassion is the basis of morality.’– Arthur Schopenhauer
So, the next time you aren’t sure about morale, choose what leads to compassion.
16. ‘Courage. Kindness. Friendship. Character. These are the qualities that define us as human beings and propel us, on occasion, to greatness.’– R.J. Palacio
And, let’s discover the human in us…
17. ‘Compassion is the chief law of human existence.’– Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Thus, for the vehicle of existence, compassion is the fuel.
18. ‘Some people are filled by compassion and a desire to do good, and some simply don’t think anything’s going to make a difference.’– Meryl Streep
Your inner whisper guides you – listen to the compassionate voice!
19. ‘Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike, each has their sufferings.’– Buddha
So open your heart for all – they need you.
20. ‘A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and he who plants kindness gathers love.’– Saint Basil
Have you ever tasted this bliss of love? With your first sip, you’ll drown in ecstasy.
Action Compassion Quotes
When you lend your hand to others at the moment of suffering, you make the concept meaningful. Action compassion quotes let you focus on the actions that help to relieve others’ pain. So, when you need prompts to take your move, these are perfect!
21. ‘Compassion is a practically acquired knowledge, like dancing. You must do it and practice diligently day by day.’– Karen Armstrong
Thus, make your move. Go ahead, pause, and move again.
22. ‘Compassion is an unstable emotion. It needs to be translated into action, or it withers.’– Susan Sontag
Don’t let this beauty fade… Your first stroke will fill the canvas!
23. ‘Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.’– Dalai Lama
Next time when you judge someone, pause, breath in, and repeat the quote!
24. ‘No one has ever become poor by giving.’– Anne Frank
But your pure compassion can make you rich with love and bliss!
25. ‘Compassion isn’t morose; it’s something replenishing and opening; that’s why it makes us happy.’– Sharon Salzberg
Thus, your treasure will never vanish by sharing!
26. ‘Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.’– Dalai Lama
Just take a step back, think. You’ll feel it yourself.
27. ‘Listen with ears of tolerance. See-through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love.’– Rumi
And your soul will dance in the tune of joy!
28. ‘There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.’– John Holmes
So come ahead! You aren’t aware of your ability.
29. ‘Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.’– Leo Buscaglia
Ah! The little joys we miss… They’re calling you.
30. ‘Compassion is a verb.’ –Thich Nhat Hanh
Hence, experience it in your actions!
Familiar Compassion Quotes
When your compassion flows for your near and dear ones, it is known as familiar compassion. These beautiful quotes will help you grow powerful emotional and compassionate support for the ones you care about.
31. ‘Compassion is loving others enough to say or do what is appropriate from an empowered heart without attachment to the outcome.’– Gary Zukav
When you take care of your loved ones, doesn’t your compassion guide you?
32. ‘Until you have real compassion, you can not recognize love.’– Bob Thurman
So close your eyes. Ask yourself – are you having it?
33. ‘If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.’– Dalai Lama
And have you ever thought that the gospel for happiness is so simple!
34. ‘The things that matter most in our lives are not fantastic or grand. They are moments when we touch one another’– Jack Kornfield
So, touch your loved one with a compassionate heart. This is what matters…
35. ‘I forgive you for not being the way I wanted you to be. I forgive you and I set you free.’– Louise L. Hay
Relationships are there because we want it to be. No bonds, no expectations. Just ‘be’.
36. ‘One of the tasks of true friendship is to listen compassionately and creatively to the hidden silences.’– John O’ Donohue
And are you compassionate enough to hear those whispers?
37. ‘Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It’s a relationship between equals.’– Pema Chodron
So, don’t shy away with it – be it taking compassion or sharing it!
38. ‘The way to change others’ minds is with affection and not anger.’– Dalai Lama
Affection is the key – yes! Your heart knows it.
39. ‘Compassion, not passion, keeps a marriage together.’– Betty Wright
So, why not step further for your partner? Share the thread of compassion…
40. ‘Honesty is the quality I value most in a friend. Not bluntness, but honesty with compassion.’– Brooke Shields
Haven’t we all felt this beautiful line? ‘Oh the honest heart, be compassionate too!’.
Sentient Being Compassion Quotes
When your compassion expands for all, it is sentient being compassionate. So, this includes all the creatures in the world. Be it a stranger or a pal, or may be a silent being, these quotes let you be compassionate for all. Here we go!
41. ‘It is easy enough to be friendly to one’s friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.’– Mahatma Gandhi
Humanity is the garden. And it doesn’t have fences!
42. ‘Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.’– Pema Chodron
All of us are made by nature. And are we able to defer?
43. ‘Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.’– Albert Einstein
Embrace it all! The world is yours…
44. ‘Until we share our circle of compassion to all living beings, humanity will not find peace.’– Albert Schweitzer
Yes, how far we forget it, nature will remind us…
45. ‘To develop this mind state of compassion…is to learn to live, as the Buddha put it, with sympathy for all living beings, without exception.’– Sharon Salzberg
A divine step to universal love!
46. ‘You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.’– John Bunyan
Are you living a true life, then?
47. ‘Let us fill our hearts with our own compassion – towards ourselves and towards all living beings.’– Thich Nhat Hanh
The world is within you, your compassion is the air…
48. ‘…Speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.’– Albert Einstein
Indeed, we’re talking to the human rather than his/her profession. Aren’t we?
49. ‘In compassion, when we feel with the other, we dethrone ourselves from the center of our world and we put another person there.’– Karen Armstrong
Those who sacrifice for you, haven’t they put you in the center?
50. ‘Everyone deserves compassion.’– Michael Sheen
Yes, repeat this – EVERYONE.
Philosophical Compassion Quotes
Compassion is deeply rooted in various philosophies around the world. The common point is, however, the growth of these positive feelings in every human. Let’s dig into the concept of compassion with a philosophical perspective.
51. ‘When we practice loving kindness and compassion we are the first ones to profit.’– Rumi
So lighten up your life! Love shines it.
52. ‘An open heart is an open mind.’– Dalai Lama
So, ‘Do you keep your mind closed?’ – the question still lingers.
53. ‘The whole idea of compassion … the whole purpose of life is to live by love.’– Thomas Merton
The purpose is clear…
54. ‘The dew of compassion is a tear.’– Lord Byron
When you feel the pain with the sufferer, that pure tear in your eyes – is as clear as dew!
55. ‘I would rather make mistakes in kindness and compassion than work miracles in unkindness and hardness.’– Mother Teresa
Indeed, the world needs it.
56. ‘Compassion brings us to a stop, and for a moment we rise above ourselves.’– Mason Cooley
Yes, that eternal little moment… to rise above our selfishness.
57. ‘Make no judgments where you have no compassion.’– Anne McCaffrey
Hence, rethink when you judge… Aren’t you mistaken?
58. ‘In the end, these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?’– Jack Kornfield
So don’t reap regrets for the end…
59. ‘All religions try to benefit people, with the same basic message of the need for love and compassion, for justice and honesty, for contentment.’– Dalai Lama
The message is here – have you read it?
60. ‘We do not need guns and bombs to bring peace, we need love and compassion.’– Mother Teresa
Aspiration Compassion Quotes
The reasons inducing compassion can be based on our own emotional, mental, and social aspiration circles. Still, the result is as pure as any other. These aspiration compassion quotes let you realize this –
61. ‘If you place kindness and compassion as the heart of what you do, you will create a ripple effect that will benefit the ‘individual’ and the ‘company’ in equal measure.’– Glen Hall
So you don’t only do it for others, you will be the receiver too!
62. ‘Compassion is not a popular virtue.’– Karen Armstrong
Yes! And those rares having it are known as ‘great’.
63. ‘No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.’– Aesop
So, don’t hesitate. Yes, even if it is a small move.
64. ‘We have to have deep, patient compassion for the fears of others and irrational mania of those who hate or condemn us.’– Thomas Merton
To win the hater, use love and compassion.
65. ‘Compassion allows us to bear witness to that suffering, whether it is in ourselves or others, without fear; it allows us to name injustice without hesitation, and to act strongly, with all the skill at our disposal.’– Sharon Salzberg
So, the strength in you is the compassion in you.
66. ‘From compassion springs humility. The ego is verily a gateway to hell. The person who is egoistic is far from being religious.’– Dada Vaswani
The hell of ego, guilt, frustration, hatred… compassion makes you rise above it.
67. ‘Creating an uplifting environment for others through the words we use and showing compassion goes outside of the home as well.’– Chris Johnston
So don’t restrict your kind deeds!
68. ‘Let’s choose each day and every day to keep an attitude of faith and joy and belief and compassion.’– Charles Swindoll
And you know – you deserve this positivity around you!
69. ‘Develop compassion for someone who hurt you rather showing bitterness that will enable you to forgive them and make you feel comfortable.’– Lisa Adams
Yes, it makes you free. So, don’t be confined in the cage of hatred.
70. ‘Cultivating compassion for ourselves and others can bring balance and harmony to our lives in a way we never dreamed of.’– Thubten Chodron
And that peace is precious!
Quotes about Compassion and Empathy
When you rise above yourself and feel the suffering experienced by the sufferer, then you are having empathetic compassion. Clearly, this feeling is so beautiful and empowering. Indeed, you can get the glimpses with these quotes –
71. ‘True compassion means not only feeling another’s pain but also being moved to help relieve it.’– Daniel Goleman
The big words don’t matter, small actions do!
72. ‘I have noticed that the Universe loves Gratitude. The more Grateful you are, the more goodies you get’– Louise Hay
When you’re grateful, you know how to repay your compassion.
73. ‘Compassion may be defined as the capacity to be attentive to the experience of others, to wish the best for others, and to sense what will truly serve others.’– Joan Halifax
A little awareness, a big difference…
74. ‘You hold in your hand an invitation: to remember the transforming power of forgiveness and loving kindness. To remember that no matter where you are and what you face, within your heart peace is possible.’– Jack Kornfield
So, have you ever tried to read that invisible letter?
75. ‘No matter who we are, no matter how successful, no matter what our situation, compassion is something we all need to receive and give.’– Catherine Pulsifer
Remember – we are all poor without compassion.
76. ‘Compassion can be defined in many ways, but its essence is a basic kindness, with a deep awareness of the suffering of oneself and of other living things, coupled with the wish and effort to relieve it.’– Paul Gilbert
Are you aware of this suffering? Relieving it is left.
77. ‘Kindness can manifest as compassion, as generosity, as paying attention.’– Sharon Salzberg
Paying attention … when they wanted to tell you their heart. Did you?
78. ‘Like many things in life, your compassion is a skill that can be exercised.’– Simeon Lindstrom
We practice so many habits, can’t we include a positive one?
79. ‘Compassion is not just sympathy. It is empathy. Genuine compassion is first able to feel their pain.’– Mary Southerland
When you move ahead to change it, you know you’re compassionate.
80. ‘We must look at ourselves over and over again in order to learn to love, to discover what has kept our hearts closed, and what it means to allow our hearts to open.’– Jack Kornfield
A self-exploration is all we need…
Cognitive Compassion Quotes
Not every time we need a gush of emotions to be compassionate. Sometimes, the very basis of logic, psychology, and comprehension spectrum can lead to this. These powerful cognitive compassion quotes describe this wonderfully –
81. ‘Being compassionate helps with anger and resolves bitterness more easily than anything.’– Brittany Hallison
Don’t believe it? Try being compassionate next time you’re hard. You’ll know.
82. ‘Converting your energy to compassion and understanding, once you accept this reality, helps our own healing; that type of energy is more positive and calming.’– Lisa Kardos
Thus, direct your energy to a positive aim.
83. ‘Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.’– Brad Meltzer
After all, you never know the sorrow disguised…
84. ‘Compassion is the radicalism of our time.’– Dalai Lama
And any sane person just CAN’T ignore it.
85. ‘Compassion is not at all weak. It is the strength that arises out of seeing the true nature of suffering in the world.’– Sharon Salzberg
Yes, the strength that can make a difference.
86. ‘Many people involved in the mental health professions are beginning to understand that compassion can play a role in helping us to work with difficult emotions.’– Russell Kolts
The little step we ignore, the bigger pit of depression we fall into.
87. ‘To the degree that we look clearly and compassionately at ourselves, we feel confident and fearless about looking into someone else’s eyes.’– Pema Chodron
And you can’t trick your mind. Be kind to rise above your fear.
88. ‘The topic of compassion is not at all religious business; it is important to know it is human business, it is a question of human survival.’– Dalai Lama
We NEED compassion – repeat!
89. ‘That’s what I consider true generosity: You give your all and yet you always feel as if it costs you nothing.’– Simone de Beauvoir
And it’s not as unbelievable as it seems…
90. ‘Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.’– Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
It’s never too less, it’s never too much.
Spiritual Compassion Quotes
Compassion is the crux of spirituality. This is an essential step in the soul searching. All the great saints ever have voiced this. However, these wise men and women have explained it beautifully in this modern era. Let’s tie this thread of spirituality…
91. ‘Passionate prayer transforms us into compassionate people.’– Sammy Tippit
Yes, the biggest bliss is – compassion!
92. ‘When we feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and visit the imprisoned, we bear witness to the compassion of Christ.’– R.C. Sproul
So, let’s be the witness…
93. ‘The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, and forgiveness.’– Dalai Lama
The divine is here, in the face of the needy.
94. ‘Spirituality is recognizing and celebrating that we are all inextricably connected to each other by a power greater than all of us and that our connection to that power and to one another is grounded in love and compassion.’– Brené Brown
Let’s not forget the roots…
95. ‘The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.’– Mahatma Gandhi
So, your little deeds matter…
96. ‘Love and compassion are the true religions to me. But to develop this, we do not need to believe in any religion.’– Dalai Lama
Let’s see the divine in the sufferer, let’s be compassionate…
97. ‘We don’t need any sort of religious orientation to lead a life that is ethical, compassionate & kind.’– Sharon Salzberg
Whatever your faith is, compassion is universal.
98. ‘We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection.’– Dalai Lama
And you know it!
99. ‘The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.’– Albert Schweitzer
Thus, leave your traces … share your love!
100. ‘The second quality of mature spirituality is kindness. It is based on the fundamental notion of self-acceptance.’– Jack Kornfield
And the world is yet to move there…
101. ‘God is compassion.’– Greg Boyle
Close the eyes, feel the bliss…
Compassion – The Emotion
The word ‘compassion’ is derived from the Latin word which means ‘to suffer with’. Compassion or kindness is being sensitive and understanding towards anyone’s suffering. Thus, it is similar to empathy. This is the crux of human nature and it’s beauty.
Compassion plays an important role in crucial aspects of life. To show compassion is to embrace this beauty. Thus, the least we can do is to be compassionate. And the most we can do is, again, being compassionate!
10 Reason Why Compassion Is Important in Life
No doubt, compassion is a powerful feeling. In fact, a compassionate person gets so much connected to the sufferer that he/she feels an impulse to help the person.
Still, while all of us know that compassion is beautiful, not all of us are convinced. You may ask – ‘Why compassion at all?’. The answer echoes everywhere. And the pros are never-ending. Here, we can see some of the ways in which being compassionate can be good for you :
1. Makes you more content and satisfied.
Compassion makes you heartily happy. When you share, you rise. And compassion is the crux of it. This triggers your sense of happiness and fulfillment.
2. It helps you rise above your guilt.
Compassion reduces your suffering. When one gets strangled under a load of guilt, it gives peace. This can be both conscious and unconscious. So, you may not discover the process. But whenever you feel heavy in your heart, a compassionate move can lighten it!
3. Improves emotional resilience and mental health.
Compassion can work wonders for your mental health. It brings a positive aura around you. So, you experience better emotional resilience and mental health.
4. Good for your health.
Science has proven that practicing compassion can be beneficial to your health. It boosts immunity and normalizes blood pressure. This, on the other hand, lowers your stress. As a result, there is quick physical and mental recovery. Clearly, this makes you healthier.
5. Improves your interactive space.
Compassion expands your connections with the world. Hence, it improves your social, personal, ecological, and other forms of relationships.
6. Makes the world a better place.
Compassion is the crux of all kinds of positive emotions. Also, it is directed outward. Thus, the chances of peace, humanity, cooperation, and other positive practices grow in the world.
7. An essential approach to the positive upbringing of children.
Compassion is a crucial step in the development of social interactions and the adaptability of children. It promotes mental and social growth, empathy, self-esteem, well-being, and other important characteristics in children.
8. Reduced burnout.
As the reports by Mills & Chapman suggest, compassion reduces the burnout because of external triggers. Also, This enhances the adaptability to have a healthy survival.
9. Compassion as a therapeutic approach.
Recently, many reports have proved the benefits of compassion in the treatment of certain psychological disorders. It has also impacted upon the survival rates of patients of various troubles.
10. A spiritual thread.
Compassion opens your perspective. So, you are no more caged in your selfish thoughts. This lets you realize your entity in the vast universe. Thus, compassion is an essential step in your spiritual journey.
Over To You …
Suffering is part of life. And we all go through it. But what makes life better is – compassion. These powerful compassion quotes help you in this path.
So, make your little move. Remember – big changes come from the little efforts we do. And the onus of a positive change is in our hands. Your little smile, few kind words, and a compassionate heart can do wonders for some!
Kirtika is a motivated soul, passionate about writing, speaking and creating. She has her hands in Literature, Psychology, Life Coaching, Spirituality, Wellness, Sciences and everything creative. As an entity of the vast Universe, she wants to expand her existence with self belief and self exploration. With TheMindFool, she wants to help others in finding their real self.