What do you do when you know a person for a while but don’t know how to spice up the conversation with them anymore? Or it can be your first date where you have asked all the generic questions and there is an awkward silence for a little too long? We run out of things to do or say at parties or get-together, and that makes all of us sweat. It is a little unfortunate but we all are afraid of looking uninteresting. In such situations, it is important to have a few thought-provoking questions in your mind that you can fire to keep the conversation going.
So, to break the ice or to break the monotony, here is a list of thought provoking questions that can create interesting conversations.
These questions don’t always have to be serious. They can be fun too. They are perfect and much better than having a forced small talk.
120 Thought Provoking Questions
Deep Thought Provoking Questions to Ask
For the times when you want a conversation to have depth and substance, you must count on philosophical or deep thought questions. These questions ensure that you know and understand a person from deep within. They also ensure that you have interesting conversations. Sometimes, the answers to these deep thought questions can give you new meaning in life.
- Do you believe in destiny or you think life is in our control?
- What do you think is the purpose of this life?
- What do you think happens after death?
- Do you think there is another life after death?
- Do you believe it when they say everything happens for a reason?
- As human beings, what should be our topmost priority?
- Should we all work towards one big goal?
- Do you believe in coincidences?
- If living in every moment is the right way to live life, how can we have a dream for tomorrow?
- Who decides what is right and wrong?
- Is this life a fragment of our imagination?
- Should you live life in ignorance or you need depth to really understand it?
- Do you understand life or you just live on auto-pilot?
- Why do we expect others to love us the way we love?
- Why do we judge others by their actions but expect them to judge us by our words?
- What if the memories that we hold are not even partially true or real?
- What if are absolutely wrong when we say we know someone inside out?
- Is it possible for someone to be one person within but entirely different and opposite outside?
- What are those things that you know are true but you still would like to avoid?
- When do you feel like you are finding meaning in your life?
- Is it important to suffer in order to fully understand life?
- Why do people who go through a lot of pain understand life better?
- How is it possible for someone to hurt other human beings?
- If every human being is different and is doing what their mind is telling them to do, how is this world still existing?
- Is loving yourself enough a recipe for a happy life?
- What should be one’s goal in his or her life?
- Is success a societal construct?
- If death is the last resort, why do we live at all?
- Is it important to give back something to society?
- Do we really have to be social animals?
- Can the psyche of a person be modified?
- Does each individual’s word restrict to his or her psyche?
- When people know that consciousness can make them happy, why most of us are still miserable?
- Is pain really inevitable or our individual decisions put us in misery?
- Why do human beings sometimes believe things strongly when they can’t even be proved?
- What can be called a waste of human potential?
- What is the best way to put our entire potential into use?
- Isn’t satisfaction bigger than happiness?
- If there was no social construct and pressure, who would you be and what would you do?
- If you found out that there is life on other planets, would you feel threatened?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with your life?
- Have you ever thought of taking your own life?
- What do you think will people say about you at large after your death?
- Do you ever think of starting your life all over again?
- If you could go back in time, what mistake you would have rectified?
- If you were to make a movie on your life, what would have been the title of it?
- What stops you from doing what you really want to do?
- Is it possible to wholeheartedly love someone without expecting anything in return?
- Who are you when no one is watching?
- To what extent you can go to avoid your fears?
- Do you think about all the lives you are not living? Does it put pressure on your shoulders?
- When do you deeply connect with someone?
- What makes the human nature complex?
Funny Thought Provoking Questions to Ask
Sometimes, we want the conversations to be light-hearted, feel good and funny. When everyone in the room is laughing because of something funny deep questions you asked, you feel a different kind of happiness. So here are a few funny deep questions or funny thought provoking questions that you should keep in your mind while going to any get-together.
- If you only had to ask two questions to someone to know them fully, what would be those questions?
- What is your funniest memory of yourself?
- What would be your first reaction if aliens arrived on earth?
- Have you ever committed a blunder but no one ever found out it was you?
- What is the funniest thing you do when no one is watching?
- Have you ever sent a message to someone about them that you were supposed to send someone else?
- What is the most embarrassing thing you have done in your life?
- Have you ever waved at a stranger thinking they were someone you knew?
- What is that one situation where you wish you weren’t present?
- Have you ever seen someone doing something that made you feel embarrassed? What were they doing?
- What is that one activity that you never want to witness people doing?
- Is there any thought that makes you laugh out loud every time you think about it? What is it?
- What rumor you would like to hear about yourself?
- Is there anything that you thought was real but later figured out it was not?
- What is the stupidest lie you told someone?
- Have you ever run away from a date? Why and how?
- What according to you is the funniest way to live your life?
- What conspiracy theory you would want to spread about?
- Who makes you laugh the most and how?
- Have you ever told a story in a way that made people laugh for minutes? What was the story?
- What is the stupidest thing you did as a kid that you now regret?
- If you were arrested, what would your family and friends think you had done?
- What is the silliest thing you have said in order to feel and look funny?
- Do you remember the worst smell you have ever smelled?
- Have you ever felt like laughing in a very serious situation? What made you want to laugh?
- What are your most useless thoughts?
- If you had to make a funny loud voice, what would it be?
- Have you ever laughed on someone’s face? What was your reason?
- What is the funniest way in which the internet has changed your life?
- Have you ever watched something so funny that you couldn’t stop laughing for a long time? What was it?
- If you had to appear somewhere in a funny attire, what attire would you wear?
- What do you think can one day break the internet?
- If you got stuck in a room with two of your ex-partners, what would you do?
- If you and your friend are in a lift with 2 other strangers, what would you say out loud to embarrass your friend?
- Can you think of a joke that can make anyone laugh?
- If you were to give yourself a funny pet name, what would it be?
- If you could become an animal, which one would you choose and why?
Personal Thought Provoking Questions
Sometimes, we need time for ourselves and we want to take a break from daily hectic life. We go out on beaches or travel alone and during relax time, we have deep personal questions about our life. These deep personal questions about ourselves and our life may help us to resolve many unresolved facts about our life. It also helps us to know ourselves better and that may help to take us better decisions in life.
- If you were given only 30 seconds to describe yourself, what would you say?
- What are your three biggest achievements?
- If you were to die today by the end of the day, what would you do in the evening?
- How do you decide if someone loves you?
- What is the definition of love for you?
- Are you scared of death? If yes then why?
- What is your biggest fear in life and how did you generate it?
- Is there anything that you are scared of losing?
- What is that one thing about yourself that makes you really proud?
- If you get to know that the world is ending, who would you want to run to and why?
- What makes you hate a person?
- Does the person you love the most know that you love them?
- To what extent you can go for the people you love?
- What makes you angry at yourself if there is anything at all?
- What can someone do to make your day?
- When do you feel like you are living your life to the fullest?
- What are those three things that you absolutely don’t want to do in your life?
- Would you like someone to comfort you with sweet lies or hurt you with harsh truths?
- What can make you break the law of your life?
- In this present moment, how do you feel about yourself and your life?
- When have you felt the happiest in your life?
- What is that one thing that you have experienced but don’t want anyone else to experience?
- Do you have a long term goal? What is it?
- What do you appreciate the most about yourself and the person you love the most?
- Who do you think you have hurt the most and how?
- Is there something that you have not forgiven yourself for?
- What comes between you and your best life?
- On a scale of one to ten, how interesting your life has been so far?
- What is that one thing that makes you really sad?
- What do you feel grateful for?
A great question is the one that makes people pause, think and wonder. We spend hours just talking about things that probably don’t matter then why shouldn’t we make use of thought provoking questions that can make any conversation interesting? You can be on a date, at a party or in a get-together, the aforementioned questions curated by us will refresh the mood of all your friends and family.
You must choose the type of thought provoking questions wisely depending on the setting that you are in. If you think deep and philosophical questions can make the party a little slow for your taste, you can always go for fun thought provoking questions. The answers to those questions are always going to leave people smiling and laughing. So, engage your friends and family in a tasteful manner from now on. Let them have a wonderful time.
Ankita calls herself a road-child because of her love for road trips and landscapes. A journalist turned digital nomad, she is either telling stories or looking outside the car window aimlessly. She has traveled most of India by road, and encourage other women to take such life-changing journeys. Ankita is also a mental health advocate and a survivor herself. She likes to tell her story through writing and photography, with the aim to change at least some lives.